Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation (732) 751-4991

Villani & DeLuca Divorce Blogs

Modifying a Support Order

Posted by Vincent C. DeLuca | Oct 26, 2020 | 0 Comments

In the event you are already divorced and your marital settlement agreement requires you to pay alimony or child support or both, you may be able to change the amount you have been ordered to pay if you are able to demonstrate to the Court that your financial circumstances have changed.  Modifying support orders previously entered is not an easy process.   You should obtain the advice of an experienced divorce lawyer prior to filing an application to the court wherein you seek to lower your obligations.

You will need to demonstrate to the court that the change of circumstances that you are experiencing are not temporary in nature.  If the court deems your change to only be temporary in nature you may lose your application seeking a reduction.

For instance, if you are seeking a reduction because you have lost your job and you cannot find a comparable paying job you need to make sure that you can demonstrate to the court that you tried to find a similar type job.  You may want to attach to your application to the court copies of all resumes that you sent out to potential employers thereby demonstrating your good faith efforts to try and get a good job.

The divorce and support lawyers at the Villani and DeLuca firm are well versed in filing applications to the court seeking reduction in payments.  Should you wish to file such an application, please call the divorce and family lawyers at the firm as they all offer free consultations.

About the Author

Vincent C. DeLuca

Vincent C. DeLuca, a partner of the firm, devotes the entirety of his practice to family law. Vince is a trained divorce mediator and collaborative divorce attorney. Vince is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a matrimonial law attorney. Less than .002% of all practicing attorneys in...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Vincent DeLuca, Esq.

As a founding partner at Villani & DeLuca, Vincent DeLuca is one of only a few Certified Matrimonial Law Attorney in Ocean County, New Jersey. Mr. DeLuca has helped many clients navigate the delicate details of their own divorce. Mr. DeLuca is also a trained divorce mediator and collaborative divorce attorney. Call today at (732) 751-4991 to speak to Mr. DeLuca or one of our experienced NJ Divorce Lawyers.